Change Your Words (5/5) = “Discipline”
For me personally, I am a huge believer in discipline growing up and now in my adult life. But after reading this post it was the actual love for ‘IT’ that was driving me, not discipline. I’m excited to watch what happens now that I will look at love vs. discipline in the future.
The Myth Behind… Discipline. Why there is something MORE powerful than it?
The following article was written by world renowned health expert and strength coach Charles Poliquin. I came across this waay back in Oct 09 and it really gave me food for thought. I’d like to pass it on in the hope it opens your eyes up to the misunderstood term… Discipline!
There is no such thing as discipline. There is only love.
Love is the most powerful creative force in the universe. You are the result of what you love most. You either love finely etched muscular abs more than donuts or you love donuts more than wash board abs you could do your laundry on. It is as simple as that. Don’t beat yourself up that you have no discipline or further drown yourself in a sea of refined carbs. Admit that you like crappy food more than you love strength. Or ask yourself this, what do you really love?
Self-esteem is the reflection of self-judgment. One of the best ways to raise self-esteem is to make truly loving choices that lead to increased strength of body and mind. For example, if you truly love yourself in the gym, you choose the full squat with weights over the elliptical machine. At the restaurant, if you truly love yourself, you pass on the heavenly smelling basket of bread and creamy butter, and ask for some more limes for the water. Limes alkalize your body which in turn helps your bones, muscles and your ability to deal with stress.
When you are faced with difficult choices, ask yourself, in context of course, what would a loving expert recommend? For example, when working upper body, would a loving strength coach recommend the bench press, or full range dumbbell presses. When choosing desserts, would the loving nutritionist recommend a bowl of berries or the triple decker brownie submerged under melting vanilla ice cream.
How to free yourself from the outdated concept of discipline…
- Accept that all your choices are reflections of what you truly love.
- Love is the greatest creative force of the Universe. Use it wisely.
- Choose to love yourself more than external things.
- Treating yourself well accelerates the growth of your self-esteem. When people comment on your results and say things like “Wow you have a lot disciple” answer “No, I just make loving choices for myself”. Reinforcing your own positive behavior will help you grow in strength.
- What you appreciate appreciates. Whenever you make a truly loving choice, say to yourself ‘Thank you for taking care of me in a loving way”. The more you talk to yourself like a loving parent, the faster you will grow. Let’s say, for example, you just did a single on the squat with a load you didn’t feel like doing. Say: “Wow! I am impressed with your strength of mind, that’s why you are a champion”. By documenting and rewarding your successes, they will grow in magnitude and frequency. Whenever I meet a goal, I reward myself with positive things like a vacation or a new piece of equipment. When I get something better, I make the choice of giving away the old piece to someone who will appreciate it. Living a clutter free life allows for more growth.
- The more you believe in yourself, the more objectively you will be able to take the advice of authority figures.
- “Use your faults” was French singer Edith Piaf’s motto. I don’t like to stretch athletes. It is too time consuming and requires too much energy. Using that fault, I developed the Poliquin Instant Muscle Strengthening Technique (P.I.M.S.T.), which is a system that uses a myriad of body work techniques such as acupressure points that instantly give increases in flexibility!
There is an old Hindhu saying: “The World is as we are”.
Are you tired of seeing the condition of the world around you? Start by changing yourself – be the change you want to see in the world ~ Charles Poliquin
Today’s Workout is…
Front Squat 3-3-2-2-2
10 Goblet Squat
10 KB Snatch (per arm)
*(minutes 6 & 12 = 30 Toes to Bell)