A Productivity Nightmare.. And Solution! @CPMFITness
I have a confession to make… I’m a recovering ‘Procrastination-Aholic’!
I’m ambitious, confident, motivated and excited to take on the world. I think all the time and to take on too much! I used to write To-Do-Lists (TDLs) of everything I wanted to get done in a day/week/month/year. The list would grow. and Grow.. And GROW! I would check off very little and let myself down. Feel overwhelmed. And get de-motivated! Grrrrr!
Until a couple of years ago I had this ‘lightbulb’ moment. It was from a great book, Procrastinate on Purpose. The author Rory Vaden was explaining how people like to prioritize their schedule, i.e. make a To Do List. He taught me how that is all backwards and you need to “Schedule Your Priorities”.
“Schedule My Priorities”… BRILLIANT!!
When you “Prioritize your Schedule” (TDLs) it is far too easy to turn into a list of written procrastinations. Why?
1. It reminds you of all the things you aren’t doing.
2. It provides no realistic plan or time to do them. So you go to bed feeling overwhelmed and like a failure.
3. They are just intentions to do something with no execution.
When you begin to “Schedule your Priorities” you say what you do and do what you say!
1. Realize you were trying to do too much without the available time to complete them. No wonder you keep dragging the TDL with you from week to week only to add more to it
2. You will be waaay more strict on what goes onto your calendar.
3. You will finally “Just Do It”. You will do what you schedule… Ahhhhh success!
My method of Calender’ing is Google Cal. It is simple, connects with my email (I have a gmail) and smartphone, has built in reminders and is FREE!
I break up my calendar, i.e. life, in folders to compartmentalize and stay organized.
*Faith = prayer, study and church
–Family = date night, friends, personal TDL;-)
–Work = anything gym, contacting, coaching, appointments, meetings.
–Training = workout classes, yoga, stretching, etc… even meditating
–Education/Personal Growth = study, writing, reading,
It is a freeing, empowering, you become more productive and feel like the BOSS of your day! You begin to focus on your true priorities, get sh*t done and move ahead in life!