Half Measures and NOT Half Measures
“Don’t quit. You’re already in pain. You’re already hurt. Get a Reward from it. “ ~Eric Thomas
Last week I listened this author/speaker doing an interview, HERE. One part reminded me of the quote above and got me thinking about ‘Half Measures’.
If you’re going to go to all of the trouble and commit your time, energy, money to get yourself healthy, fit and improve your life why would you take half measures?! There is no finish line in FITness. There is no negotiation. There is no ultimatum. Your results come after the work. If you are not where you want to be or believe you deserve more, that is good, but don’t think you can get something early just because.
If you are working towards a finish line (lose 50 lbs, a wedding dress, do a Pull-up) AS FAST AS POSSIBLE… You are in danger… FITness has NO finish line! It is for the rest of your life.
What Are Half-Measures?
- Half-measures include completing a 5 week Progress NOT Perfection challenge (maybe even winning a prize) and falling back into the previous lower standards you had prior to the challenge.
- It’s a half-measure to think, say to yourself and others, “If I could only…”, “Why do they….” “At least I…”, “It is what it is!” Basically you kick @ss and get some really good momentum and when your ‘temporary’ motivation fades you let yourself off the hook.
- Half-measures include committing to a realistic and responsible plan. And when the time comes to execute it you justify why you don’t need too and quit.
What Are NOT Half-Measures?
- Not Half-measures include having a dessert, going out for a beer, indulging in a non compliant treat! Huh? Yes, it’s not the one bite or piece of cake that it unhealthy. Its about the repeated actions daily that you do. It’s all about getting back on track AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
- Not Half-measures entail trouble shooting your commitment. Sometimes less Intensity. Less Ego. More Consistency! It is easy to get caught up in the INTENSITY of your goals or a challenge with your peeps. Having and wanting more is very sexy and attractive. Taking a mature approach to your priorities, current physical state and realizing your FITness is for you and no one else. Consistency will always outweigh intensity. Pairing the both properly is the key:)
It’s Your Choice
If you’re going to exert the energy to think, plan and do… Exert enough energy to win and follow through.
The decision you make about half-measures is a decision about the quality and caliber of you. When you focus on always becoming a better you and realize goals are check points, something to focus on and really to add some rules and structure for yourself that is when you start to succeed for the long haul.
Lastly, when we begin to realize how we STOP ourselves through half measures, entitlement, fear and perfectionism things become very clear. And that my friends is when consistency meets clarity…
Talk about a recipe for permanent results and a healthy LIFESTYLE!