Hey There Cherry Picker!
Friday Night Lights
Even if you aren’t participating in Friday Night Lights at CPM, I want to encourage you to check out the Crossfit Open Announcements on Thursday evenings. They are extremely motivating and fun to watch. Click HERE to get the info you need.
Are You A Cherry Picker?
I bet you’ve done it at least once… you’ve skipped the gym because you didn’t like the workout. Am I right? We have members who don’t like to run, don’t like to lift, don’t like to workout (ha!) and, on occasion, it leads to them skipping a workout. Personally, I don’t cherry pick however I have thought about it. Which ones do I think about skipping?
- Max Snatch/Power Clean – These are my favorite but can also be hard on me mentally because I’m not lifting as much weight as I was one year ago. It’s disheartening to miss that PR.
- 1 Mile Run – I used to be a decent runner. I could show up to a race with the potential to win, given the crowd. So to see my current 1 mile time compared to what I used to do… ouch! However, I really don’t think I’m that much slower and I’ll take the muscle definition over the speedy 1 mile time ANY DAY!
- Burpees – Surprise, surprise! I’m not great at burpees. I’ve got a lot of body to move up and down (in my opinion). Funny thing is, they really aren’t that bad once I’m into the workout. I just like to psyche myself out over it.
- Barbell Weighted Lunges – They just hurt. That’s all I can say!
In my 3 years at CPM, I’ve witnessed a lot of cherry picking. Possibly one of the biggest ever was the morning crew at the mall last week and this week. Very few showed up for burpees and running. So here’s my list of the most cherry picked workouts at CPM. Keep in mind, these are just workouts that I remember lots of people skipping. They most likely are not the actual top-cherry-picked workouts!
- September 25, 2015 – Lottery Burpees
- February 15th, 2017 – 5 Rounds for Time (400m Run/ 25 Burpees) then 400m Walking Lunges
- November 13th, 2013 – Flight Simulator (Doubles 5-10-15-20-25-30-35-40-45-50-45-40-35-30-25-20-15-10-5, every time you break 5 Burpees)
- August 15th, 2016 – DT (5 Rounds: 12 Deadlift, 9 Hang Power Clean, 6 Push Press)
- February 20th, 2017 – In 25 minutes (1.5 Mile Run then AMRAP 11 Pull-Ups, 7 Hang Squat Clean, 7 Push Press)
- February 21st, 2017 – 10 Rounds, 3 minutes each (50 Doubles, 10 Burpees, 5 Toe To Bar)
I challenge you to set your schedule for the week and show up to the gym regardless of the workout. At least try it for a couple weeks. You may find that your least favorite workout is actually not that bad!
The O-Board Says…
AMRAP 20 minutes
P1 – Run 400
P2 – Farmer Carry (400 route)
*when P1 catches P2 (coming from behind), complete 10 push-ups each and switch