There are only a couple reasons why I would tell someone NOT to come to the gym… One of them being they have pain (more than discomfort) in their low back!
Which unfortunately is a common case among most folks these days.
- Worldwide, back pain is the single leading cause of disability, preventing many people from engaging in work as well as other everyday activities
- Back pain is one of the most common reason for missed work.
- Experts estimate that up to 80% of the population will experience back pain at sometime in their lives.
And those stats are BC (before COVID)!!
If you or someone you know if suffering from chronic back pain (or worse) I will bet you it is one (or more) of these 5 reasons. To the degree you measure and improve these is to the degree you will feel better and have the ability to get more out of your day and life!
The science(y) reason… Dehydration can cause back pain when the gelatinous material inside your discs lose water and are unable to hold the weight of your body, this causes the disc to collapse which can put pressure on the sensitive nerves exiting the spinal column.
The logical reason… Up to 60% of our bodies are is water
- 73% = brain + heart
- 83% = lunges
- 64% = skin
- 79% = muscles and kidneys
- 31% = bones
Think about water in your body like a car needs oil. You know what low or no oil does to your car? Well low or no water in your body is WORSE!
We’ve written a ton about sleep over the years. No one will question the importance of sleep and how good a great night of sleep makes you feel.
Sleep is the heavyweight champion as far of how much your brain and body can repair and recover from any daily stresses.
Personally sleep is the subject I would score the lowest on. I do my best with this when I focus on my sleep hyigene: bedtime, less electronics, early dinner, de-stress activities right before bed.
Do you even (or ever) Stretch?!
Working out can be fun (if you are weird like me) you can feel and see results sooner than later with a great program and coaching:-)
But stretching is boring, hard or takes more time. But you will always feel better. And you can’t question it is good for you.
Currently, here is one of my favorite stretches/exercises:
But the main reason why we NEED to stretch… We sit too much.
The Chair: Your body gets good at what you give it the most. When you get really good at sitting in a chair your low back will be compromised into something it was not biomechanically not designed to do. Effective stretching can bring balance back to the back;-)
Like water, your body needs fuel. Think of nutrition like Nutrients!
People typically OVER eat low nutrient dense food or UNDER eat. When you have a malnutrition diet you low back is not getting enough nourishment and pain can be the indicator.
Check our NUTRITION 101 POST for some basic guidelines.
Chronic stress can wreck havoc in all parts of your life. When you are stressed breathing patterns change and cause strain and tension in the mid/low back.
Stress management can be it’s on blog topic but for now here are a few tips to fight stress right now.
- Breathe. When feeling stressed, take 6 DEEP breathes. On the inhale breath big and deep on the exhale let air out slow and controlled. The longer it takes to do the 6 DEEP breathes the better you will feel.
- Adopt a mindset that the stress you feel isn’t happening to you it is happening for you. There is ALWAYS a lesson when you find struggle.
- You are a product of your circumstances. Believe it or not you can change everything when you take 100% responsibility for everything in your life.
Thursday’s Workout Is…
4 Rounds for Time:
50m Walking Lunge
200m Farmer Carry