“We don’t lack for knowing, we lack for doing.”
“What keeps us from doing what we know that needs to be done?” Answer = Barriers!
Barriers are obstacles and impediments that consistently keep us from acting on what we know. We are faced with a barrier in 7 stages of action for you to understand and assess what level you are at can be critical for you to move forward in your life.
1. You don’t know.
- Lack knowledge (ignorance)
- You don’t know what you don’t know.
- You need to focus on what you can do to keep learning and growing in this area.
- Determine what is the right and wrong information, ask questions and keep searching for the truth.
2. You know but don’t believe.
- You’ve heard it but don’t believe it or feel it applies to your situation.
- You don’t buy in so you don’t listen to it.
- People need to be reminded more than they need to be instructed.
3. You know and believe but don’t do.
- We lack conviction.
- Beliefs are things you hold; Convictions are things that hold you!
- You can say what your values and beliefs are but your schedule shows your convictions.
- Things in this stage are; inconvenient, unnecessary or difficult.
4. You know and believe but can’t do.
- We often lack the skills and training that increase our odds for success.
- We can learn the skill or enlist someone else to help us.
5. You know and do inconsistently.
- We lack commitment and get distracted and things never become part of our daily routines.
- What is keeping you from being consistent? Do you rationalize, procrastinate or waste time online?
- Determine what is stopping you and commit to making a change.
6. You know and do consistently.
- You are finally ‘getting it’. Going to the gym consistently. Dinner with family together every night.
- However you don’t do it in every single area of your life.
- Getting to this stage requires knowledge, understanding, commitment, hard work and discipline.
7. You know and make it Second Nature.
- Consistency is important to success but isn’t the end of the line. When you know something + believe in it + and do it consistently over time = you reach a point where living out the principle becomes as natural as breathing.
- What you know is right takes a higher priority than what you feel.
- Our culture puts an emphasis on what feels right or feels good rather than what is right.
- When you don’t feel like working out, but you do anyway because you know you need to and you actually want to!
- The right thing will eventually become second nature.