As I am sitting here watching the forecast for the upcoming April Winter storm, it got me thinking about all the variables in life, most of which we have no control over.
- Change. It’s unavoidable. Nothing lasts forever.
- Weather. Lets face it; we have no control over Mother Nature so we might as well accept it and make the best of it.
- Our Past. It’s forever lost and we cannot undo what is done. We need to learn from our mistakes and move on.
- What other people think, feel or do. We can only control our own thoughts, feelings and actions.
- Getting Older. We can’t stop it so embrace it. Aging is a constant reminder that time is precious.
- Other people’s happiness. It’s impossible to please everyone. The sooner we stop trying to please everyone else, the sooner we can focus on our own happiness.
Unfortunately most of us put too much time and energy into the things we cannot control or change. This can be a recipe for disaster and heartache. In order to be happy and at peace, it is essential to accept the things we cannot control and focus on those we can.
- Our mindset. Be positive, be somebody that other people look forward to seeing.
- Forgiveness. Holding onto anger and resentment will only weaken us and keep us stuck in the past. “Forgiveness is not an occasional act. It is a permanent attitude.” —Martin Luther King, JR
- How we treat others. Go out of your way for someone each day. Flash them a smile, hold the door and/or give them a compliment.
- Self-Care. Eat whole foods over processed, get 7+ hours of sleep, drink water, MOVE, read books and/or mediate. Your body and mind are the best investment you can make.
- Deciding where to spend your time. Ask yourself if these activities are nourishing or draining your energy.
- Honesty. Speaking the truth and being honest with yourself.
So today, my plan is to focus on what I can control and stop wasting energy on the things I cannot. I choose to feel good. I choose love over fear. Every moment gives us the chance to start afresh and there is a choice.
A. 5-Rounds for Time
Partner 200m Sprints (YGIG)
B. AMRAP 15
20 Box Jumps