Our habits define us.
We are a week into 2020 and the big buzz is all about New Year resolutions. Lose weight, quit social media, get more sleep…blah blah blah, who really sticks with them? Ok maybe some people but I am not one of them.
I am not good at setting goals. Why? Because I fear failure and failing SUCKS! Yes I know there has never been a life or death consequence to not meeting my goals but I dislike the way it makes me feel. Even if I get close, I have a hard time appreciating the things I did achieve. Remember I am a perfectionist, like it or not, and this world we live in seems to focus on success vs. failure.
What I have learned is goals are not permanent. They are temporary, as are the circumstances that come along with them. Habits on the other hand are effortless. They can literally change the way our brains are wired. Habits are small steps that add up to huge changes over time, and they’re ones that you’ll actually make happen.
So rather than setting New Year resolutions, I will be focusing my energy on habits. Here some things I plan to implement over the next 30-days.
- Listen to 1 podcast per week
- Study/read for 2 hours per week (finish my nutrition certification)
- 3(0) minutes of being tech free before bed
- Go on 4 dates with my husband this month
- Eat 5 servings of veggies per day (>500g)
- Complete 6 workouts per week
- Get at least 7 hours of sleep each night
- Drink 8(0) ounces of water a day (yes I will include my tea 🍵)
- No eating past 9pm
- Perform 10-minutes of mobility per day
I am not expecting perfection. I know that I will mess at some point and adjustments will need to be made but my hope is that with a little discipline I will be able to make some of these habits stick with minimal effort.
What one habit can you create today that will have a big impact on your life?
10 rounds for time of:
P1 = Row 500m
P2 = MAX Bench presses